Associated Institutions

Founded primarily as an institution for training young men for the ministry, Centre has changed throughout its history to keep pace with the educational demands of a growing region and nation. The Kentucky School for the Deaf, also in Danville, was founded in 1824 as the first state-supported institution for the deaf, and in its early years was controlled by Centre's board. From the 1890s until 1912, a law school was operated at Centre with J. Procter Knott, a former Kentucky governor, as its dean. In 1901, the Central University at Richmond was consolidated with Centre. Danville's Kentucky College for Women merged with Centre in 1926, becoming the "woman's department" of the College. The department maintained a separate campus until the early 1960s when the women moved to the main campus.